When making DIY ombre clothes the only difference is, instead of submerging the entire piece of clothing in the dye, you only put part of it in. Then you hold it and wait a few minutes… then you dip a bit more in and wait a few minutes… and then you do the same thing again.
The part you kept in the dye the longest will be darker, and the parts you left in the least will be lightest, giving your pillow a cute ombre dye tone.
You can do this with pillows, shirt sleeves, entire t shirts, pants, scarves, and anything else! Make ombre clothes for your friends with their favourite colours.
All you need is a piece of white clothing, some dye and a bucket or other place to do the dyeing in. Read the instructions on the package, and you’re ready to go!
You can make upcycled clothing out of almost anything.
Spenny from the TV show Kenny Vs Spenny made flag clothing during their Who is the Best Fashion Designer episode.
Season 1, Episode 12 (S01 E12)
If you watch the episode, you can get other inspirations as well. Kenny used caution tape as a bra!
Would you consider upcycling fabrics or other stuff not commonly used for clothing?
This pizza place put some interesting ideas on how to upcycle the pizza box!
Incase you can’t read it, here are the pizza box ideas:
1. Cut it into a basketball hoop
2. Turn it into a fashionable laptop cover
3. Stockpile them until you can make a chair
4. Wrap the inside with tin foil to make a solar oven
5. Use it to build a bird mansion for your local feathered friends
6. Construct a suit of samurai armour
7. Place two back to back for a game of pizza themed Battleship
8. Assemble a jungle gym for your cats
9. Design and test fly a cardboard airplane
10. Check your local recycling guidelines and recycle the box
OK; so the last one isn’t an upcycling idea – but hopefully you can get creative with the pizza boxes that will be left over from any New Years Eve party!
This beanbag chair was made from…
Amazing form of upcycling from a company in Hong-Kong.
Do you think you could make your own beanbag chair, or a smaller version for a pet? If you make one, send photos to Upcycled Press and we will post it!
Hosting a party? Don’t know how to make the living room look like a dance floor?
Glowing glowstick fan!
A glowstick fan is a fun but simple party decoration for a New Years Eve party, Birthday party, end of term party or any other get together.
* Ceiling fan
* Clear boxing tape
* Ladder or something to stand on
You need to:
* Activate the glowsticks
* Stand on the ladder (Stay safe! You might want to do this before drinking.)
* Tape them to the ceiling fan. Tip: To make it easier to remove after, put the sticky side of the tape out as you wrap the tape around the fan blades.
Kids getting cabin fever? Get them outside and have them collect some pine cones. When they get back inside, they can create a craft.
Pine Cone Ordainments are easy to make. All you need are pine cones, glue, glitter, paint or other stuff in your art bin.
You can make gifts for the wildlife outside by putting peanut butter on the pine cone and sprinkling seeds on it. Hang it up on the tree and watch the birds fly to the pine cone birdfeeder.
When most people think of an edible ordainment, they think of dry and stale popcorn strings – not really something you’d want to eat!
Here’s something more tasty – mmmm mints to make a wreath – and your kids can take part too.
* Take several mints and make a circle with them
* Glue together with white frosting
* Add smaller red mints ontop as cherries
* Let sit for a few hours to harden
When the holidays are over, you can suck and nibble your edible Christmas tree ordainment!
Stuck indoors? Looking around for some art to do… Grab a couple apples from the kitchen and make some dried apple heads.
What you need
* Small sharp knife
* 1 cup lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon salt
How to do it
* Peel the apple and de-core it
* Draw on some eyes, nose and mouth
* Go along the lines with the knife
* Combine lemon juice and salt in bowl
* Put apple in bowl for half a minute
* Remove, pat dry with towel
* Put apple in dry and warm place (like a closet) for a few days
You can hang them from the tree for an interesting ordainment, or put them on the table as a decoration. Dried apple heads aren’t just for Halloween – turn them into a Christmas tradition as well!
Instead of going out and getting a premade glitter snowglobe, upcycle some old mason jars and make one yourself!
What you need
* Mason jar
* Small plastic item, like a Christmas figurine or kids favourite Pokemon character.
* Glitter (white or silver is best)
* Waterproof glue
How to do it
* Glue the figurine to the underside of the mason jar lid. Let dry!
* Fill jar almost all the way with water.
* Put in a few drops of glycerin, and some glitter.
* Use glue to hold the jar lid in place as you close it.
* Wait 1 day before shaking up the mason jar snowglobe.
Get your kids involved with making home decorations for the holidays with these simple tea candle holders.
What you need
– Tea Candles
– Glitter, stones and other stuff (check out the art aisle in the Dollar Store)
– Glue (glue gun works best)
Decorate the CDs and allow them to dry. Then you have cute upcycled CD Tea Candle Holders for your Holiday decorations!